7.17.2008

Really?!

Recently I applied for a new job. I've been at my current job for 3 years or so, and as much as I enjoy the people I work with (for the most part...see the post below) and the environment (for the most part...), corporate culture is pissing me off. That, and the fact that my wife and I like to eat and keep the lights turned on at the house are pushing me into the shrinking job market.

Enter our local public university. It's not corporate. The pay and benefits are MUCH better than my current situation. The job I applied for was actually a step down in title and seniority, but a bump up in salary...counter-intuitive I know, but now you see what I'm up against in my current position. Anyway, I got past the initial screeners and was called in to interview.

The interview lasted almost an hour and a half in front of a panel of four people. I felt it went well. The mood in the room was relaxed and comfortable, and so on. Anyway, I left feeling like it was in the bag.

A week goes by. Nothing. I call the guy. He says, "The woman heading up the search is out on vacation this week, but when she gets back she'll be contacting all the candidates." Fine. This is why I don't take people at their word often.

They had the person hired. Probably at that point. But instead of being a man and a competent director of his department, he took the easy way out and lied. Three days later the university website reported the position closed. Still no word from them.

After two weeks, I receive a mass email that says, "Thank you for your interest with blah blah blah blah blah. We wish you the best of luck blah blah blah blah blah."

It's not so much the fact that I didn't get the job that chaps me...though chap me it does. It's the fact that the cowards in that department didn't have the stomach to call me and tell me themselves. Pitiful.

An email. Really?! Get a sack.

No comments: