7.27.2008

HateSpew 7/27

There is a concept that makes my blood vaporize. It's something we were all taught as kids, yet it doesn't translate into the real world. There's nothing like it in the animal kingdom. There's nothing like it anywhere in the natural world as far as I'm aware. And yet some people cling to it as if it were an immutable truth, never changing and solid as stone. It's the concept of "fair".

Anybody who knows me personally has already heard my diatribes on this subject. It's something that I fail to process, thus causing a "blue screen of death" in my brain stem. Every time I hear the word used to denote the equality or inequality of a situation I want to systematically dismember everything in my field of vision. I want to pull the walls down around me.

You may be asking yourself, "Self, why does the concept of fairness turn him into an erupting volcano? Shouldn't we all as civilized people strive to be fair to our fellow man?" Well, I wish I had an answer. The truth is I don't know.

All I can tell you for certain is that nothing is fair. Everything is survival of the fittest. If you can't hack it, there's someone out there that can...someone who doesn't rely on "fairness" to get it done.

We're not promised anything in this world. All we can do is the best we can do. Sometimes that's enough. Sometimes it's not. In life not everyone gets a trophy for trying their best. You're not always going to get to play. I think a big part of life is having to learn to deal with disappointment.

I'm really afraid of the generation we're raising. I see kids every day that have this sense of entitlement. A sense that they DESERVE something, and if they don't get it, it's not fair.

One day they'll get their cage rattled and realize that life is what you make it. It can be a beautiful life, filled with all the things you want. It can be a constant adventure, a continual classroom. It gives you back what you put in. But one thing that it isn't, will never be, and most certainly was never intended to be, is FAIR.

Fair is for suckers.

No comments: