8.18.2008

Not Impressed

This is Jamaica's Usain Bolt; as of this second the fastest man in the world and an utter disgrace.



If this picture is worth a thousand words, then the video at the end of this post is the OED. More on that in a minute.

You must respect this man's speed. He obliterated the field and set a world record in the 100m with a blistering 9.69 seconds. That's FAST. I've read where that's the equivalent of running a 3.5 40 yard dash...all that and the man is 6'5". Amazing.

So why is he a disgrace? Because he's a showboat. An arrogant product of the BLING generation who can't see past his own ego. He has no idea of what the Olympics is really about. Instead of running hard, DESTROYING the world record and perhaps being remembered for all time, this idiot disgraced his country by getting the lead, pulling up at the end just to pound his chest while coasting in to the finish. What was he trying to prove exactly? Was he trying to get everyone's attention? His speed handled that quite effectively. He would have been well-served to let his speed do the talking.

But no. He had to prove every stereotype out there about the "me first, screw you, I gotta get mine, look at me" mentality that exists in the african american culture. You really only need to turn on MTV and watch a few rap videos to get the idea of what I'm talking about. I'm not throwing out a blanket statement meant to encompass the entire community, but it's guys like this that ruin it for everyone.

Listen, I understand it's the Olympics. It's exciting. He was representing his country. Emotions were running high. I get it. But show some respect for all of those things. Make your family proud. Win with dignity. Celebration is fine, but save it until after the race.

I happened to come across this little video. I think it pretty much sums up what I'm talking about. Honestly I couldn't watch the whole thing all the way through, but maybe one of you can.



I love confident people. I think the world needs more of them. But there is confidence and there's chicken-headed arrogance. Usain Bolt has had his moment in the sun. I really hope he remembers it forever, because I intend to forget him.

PS - That gold medal he won has 2 fates....neither of which involve him keeping the thing to pass down to the generations to come. One of them is eBay.

No comments: